A highly unusual method for the consumer to pay for health care by using a token system. Let’s consider some of the ramifications.
- There would have to be a way for the medical institutions to convert these tokens to cash.
- There would also have to be a way for the tokens to be attached to the individual so that a black market wouldn’t spring up.
- I suspect that the law would have to prevent medical facilities from accepting cash.
- You can’t realistically suppress the ultra-rich, so they would need a way to buy tokens.
I saw another alternative while I was in Peru — similar to the one that my county had when I was growing up:
- The government has free or low cost clinics. There were long lines.
- You could buy your way into an HMO which was much better.
- The HMO we were in did an ultrasound for cancer ($45) before they would accept you. That was the only preexisting condition that they refused.
A good article to start the discussion.